2008-11-22

Dia de Gracias



All About Family

Picture 1

Mamita (my host Mom)in front of a huge Catholic Church (she´s not Catholic though)
Picture 2

La Majo (my host sister)


Thursday, Thanksgiving, is going to be an interesting day as all of the Xplorer people, students, and their families get together. Although us students are sad we are missing out on our traditions at home in the United States (Claudio and Saara don´t celebrate Thanksgiving as they are not from the United States; they are going to celebrate here in Ecuador, however), we can´t let our traditions keep us from having the best Thanksgiving we can possibly have. This Thanksgiving is, unlike all the other ones I have experienced, not about all the traditions; it is about change, and bonding with my host family. Bonding with my host family has been a long hard process because of all the family issues. Coming this far is a reason for celebration and I hope to not compare Dia de Gracias here with Thanksgiving where my blood family is. Thanksgiving will be a wonderful event that will stretch me, keep me looking to God, and test my cooking and acting abilities.

Thursday we are also having a dessert contest. Now I, being the competitive cooker I am, am determined to win! I really want to win this contest, as I won the dessert contest at my church last spring. My host mom here loves to cook-- another family bonding moment! I was asking her opinion of what dessert I should make, and we decided on two that looked good. (I´m not telling what they are until afterwords because I don´t want anyone stealing my ideas!!!) My host mom said we could cook one on Tuesday, then the other Wednesday and make the best one for Thursday! How fun is that!!

Zoe and I are supposed to be writing a play for us students to act out, but we haven´t started yet! We have an idea, but nothing beyond an idea... we need to get working!!

Dia de Gracias will be a test; however, it will be an amazing experience, full of the goodness of God. I thank God every day that he has placed me here in Ecuador, and I can´t wait to share all my insane experiences with everyone upon my return!!

2 comments:

itsLadam said...

AHHHEEMMM

I'm not from the U.S. either

Anonymous said...

hi i am emily's little sister and i found your blog because Zoe is following mine. you can find my blog at redneckonwheels.blogspot.com

cynthia zilles